This race gives runners the chance to experience some of China’s most majestic mountains and lands by running through them in an ultramarathon race. Creating a unique journey that can only be experienced through the runners perspective.
Register today for this one of a kind adventure.
RACE DAY - MAY 21 2016
The Shangri-La Marathon race takes place on May 21, 2016. Runners will need to plan a 5-day travel itinerary to arrive into Shangri-La on May 17 and depart on May 23.
The Shangri-La Marathon features 100K and 55K ultra distances and 45K and 24K marathon distances for runners to race.
- Entry to run race
- Round-trip bus transportation
- 2-nights lodging
- Event meals
- Weatherproof course map
- Official race shirt
- Collectible finisher medal
- Official finisher certificate
- Special event collectors gift
- Goodie bag
- Runner’s handbook
- Meili Snow Mountain memorabilia
- Volunteer support
- Course aid-stations
- Finish line water & food
- Event insurance
- Special award for first place
- An awesome race experience!
Runner check-in and course review meeting will be on May 17. At the race check-in runners will pickup their BIB, shirt, and goodie bag. On May 18 will be an event and course review meeting to prepare runners for the race.
INCREDIBLE AIR QUALITY
Shangri-La is located in the Yunnan Province of China, which has been rated for having high-quality air conditions with some of the lowest rating of air pollutants in all of China. Remote locations such as Shangri-La have never suffered from air pollution. Kunming is often referred as “Spring City” because of its consistently moderate temperatures with plentiful vegetation growth and year-round flower blossoms. The pure air makes running in Yunnan even more refreshing and energizing.
The real challenge runners will navigate multiple climbs and descents with elevations ranging up to 3,767m (12,359ft) on the lower mountain peaks to a low of 2,088m (6,853ft). All while breathing some of the cleanest air in the world. Literally a breathtaking race event that must be experienced by adventure runners and enthusiasts.
ALTITUDE ADJUSTMENT RUN
13K RUN IN NATIONAL PARK
- Drink lots of water
- Eat healthy foods high in potassium
- Take vitamins
- Avoid alcohol
Once ready to race, we recommend starting off slow until you find a comfortable pace that you can maintain. Because of the higher elevation the air is thiner and your body will get tired faster and you’ll need to adjust. It is recommended to carry an oxygen can as you run incase you find yourself out of breath.
WEATHER & SUN PROTECTION
Due to the high elevation the UV index is extremely high, using a running hat and sunscreen is highly recommended. It is important to reduce your dehydration risk and to have adequate sun protection. As runners are camping in the mountains it is best to prepare for cooler weather with cold nights and mild days. We recommend to check the weather forecast a week before the race so you can dress appropriately.
One of the greatest dangers for runners is completing the race in a dehydrated state. Before, during and after the race ensure that you are staying hydrated by drinking water. Make sure that you have been to the toilet BEFORE going into the start line. If you can go to the toilet it means that your kidneys are working and you are in good shape.
Mandatory Runner Items
- Running headlamp or flashlight with extra battery (100k/50k)
- Cell phone
- Minimum 500 calories of emergency food, such as gels/energy bars
- Carry at least 1 liter water bottle or hydration pack
- Course map, or electronic map downloaded to phone
- Portable oxygen tank
- Emergency mylar blanket (we will provide)
- Elastic bandage
- Rescue whistle
- Trail running shoes
- Extra clothes/socks for night time/cold weather
- Running hat, visor, sunglasses
- Lip balm
- Recovery energy powder
- Altitude-resistant medicine
- Personal medicine/salt capsules
- A small amount of cash
- Garmin/GPS Tracking (optional)
- Waterproof bag for phone or camera
- Walking stick
- iPod (optional)
- Camera (optional)
- Mind of a champion!
Runners should be physically fit and in shape to run a marathon event. We suggest using a training program to help condition your body to make your race experience unforgettable. We are working on a ultramarathon training program to help get runners conditioned and ready to run this destination race. Being prepared makes your experience much more memorable.
Race change requests are available, the cut off for all changes is 5/15/2016. Submit your change request from the contact page.
- Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. No exceptions.
- Once we receive and accept your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate, you may not give or sell your race number to anyone else. You may request a deferment for a future race. If you attempt to sell your race number, you may be banned from future Shangri-La Marathon events.
- Runners must be at least 16 years old by race day to participate in this race. As this is a challenging ultramarathon in higher elevation, young runners must be in great shape. Younger runners must have special approval from the Race Director to run the race, submit request from the contact page.
- You must be in good health and physically prepared to take on the challenge of running an ultramarathon at high elevation.
- You must show photo ID/Passport to receive your race BIB and timing chip.
- Race numbers are required to participate.
- Timing chips must be worn on shoes. Runners must run over the start line and finish line mats for timing chips to register.
- As this is an all trail course no bicycles, in-line skates, skateboards, baby joggers or dogs will be allowed on the course.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Entry fees are NON-REFUNDABLE and entries are NON-TRANSFERABLE. Sorry, no exceptions. Once we receive and accept your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate. You may not give or sell your number to anyone else. You MAY transfer your application to the following year or another Yunnan Marathon event. Submit a cancelation or transfer request from the contact page.
Please note that race information here represents what is planned for Shangri-La Marathon and Ultramarathon. Locations, course variations, adjustments, and changes may apply depending on conditions, availability, and improvements. We strive to improve the event to make the best experience for the runners.